Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lesson Two: Relating with Money- Singles

Both John and I did the Baby Steps as single people for a few months before we got married.  I think the program works well for singles, even if they are not headed towards being married in the near future.  

Having started out my young adult life with a $1000 baby emergency/ safety net would have saved me from putting "emergency" car repairs on my credit cards, which I then used to justify putting more things on my credit cards because I had to pay off the emergency and I didn't have money for needs.... If you have an emergency fund and you don't use credit cards, you can stay out of that cycle.  

Having a friend, a parent, or a mentor who has the same view on money will help keep you accountable if you are not married.  It's hard to do it alone.  Being single can be lonely and a lot of people spend money to fill that hole.  I know.  I've been there.  Find someone who you trust to keep you accountable and to be a sounding board for your decisions with your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment